Sunday, October 4, 2009

Do I need Microsoft Works?

I have Microsoft Word and Microsoft Works on my laptop. I don't use Works so I'm wondering if can I safely uninstall it from my computer or is it needed for other programs to operate?



Do I need Microsoft Works?virus scanner



Its a microsoft program running on another microsoft program (windows) You probably couldnt take it off if you wanted to. Microsoft loves to pull crap like that.



Do I need Microsoft Works?anti virus software



It is safe to remove go to add/remove programs and Microsoft works should be listed separately. Works is an optional program and not needed for windows to run. If you still need a spreadsheet and all that Openoffice.org is a much more powerful suite than MS Works.Do a restore point first if you are unsure.
Microsoft Works also includes spreadsheet, contacts, and simple database functionality. Microsoft Word only includes a word processing function - although it is a lot more comprehensive than Works.



If you only ever use the word processing part of Works then you may no longer need it.



You can safely uninstall Works without it affecting other programs.



By the way - you may not know that you can view Microsoft Excel and other types of Office documents by downloading free viewers available on the Microsoft site. I have included the link in the sources field.



Hope this helps.
I would keep it just in case. What if your computer crashes??

No comments:

Post a Comment